Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hunger Games


Summary: Katniss is our protagonist and the story is told in first person by her. The story takes place in the future. Katniss and her family live in District 12 and the reaping day is quickly approaching. Reaping day is a lottery selection where one girl and one boy from each district are selected to participate in the Hunger Games, in which only one person will survive. When Katniss's little sister is chosen, Katniss quickly jumps in to take her place. Peeta is the young man that is selected and both he and Katniss must leave to prepare for the Games. When the Games begin Peeta and Katniss must fight not only against the other contestants but against each other. The Capitol changes the rules and announces their will be two winners. This forges and alliance between Katniss and Peeta where Peeta quickly begins to fall in love with her. When in the final hours of the Games the Capitol makes yet another rule change. There will be only one winner. Peeta and Katniss decide they will both eat poisonous berries and there will be no winner. The Capitol rushes in and declares both victorious. 
Personal Reaction: This book had me on the edge of my seat. I could not put it down. I read it when it first came out and re-reading it brought back just as much suspense. The characters are all well developed and believable. Oh, Katniss may be a little bossy and hard-headed and you want to just slap her once in awhile but that is what makes her beleivable. I loved Haymitch, the old codger really loves those kids but he keeps it well hidden. This is a dark book that really has a horrendous plot but it is sure to appeal to this generation. My library didn't have the last book of this trilogy so I asked one of my sixth graders if I could borrow her copy. She was happy to lend it to me and we had a great discussion about it. This is a captivating series.

Collins, S. (2008). The hunger games. New York: Scholastic Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment